stranger in seoul


...life is short, and the world is wide... fragments of a summer spent in south korea...
About me

english name: james (제임스)
affectionately-acquired korean name: jeong su (정수)
so, who am i?: 안녕하세요! i'm a 19-year old (or 20 if you're korean!) law student from london currently spending my summer in south korea working at MIKI's british school in seoul, where i teach kids aged between 11 and 16 english and history! when i'm not in the classroom teaching, i like to get out and explore in the sunshine and attempt to discover all of seoul's secrets! ...though with the weather like this, you may well find me cooling off in random coffee houses writing postcards instead! i'm also a MASSIVE music fan (though my tastes are usually too poppy for most people, that doesn't seem to be a problem here! XD) and, on the film front, completely adore studio ghibli, hayao miyazaki and satoshi kon!

Archive

...and if want the whole scoop on my time in seoul, you can flip through my posts according to month by clicking one of the links below!

July 2009 August 2009

...and remember, you can always get back to the main page with all my latest entries by clicking here!...so, what are you waiting for? get reading all my wonderful entries below! oh, and comments are open to everyone, even if you're not signed up to blogger, so feel free to comment away too! <3
>

Thursday, August 13, 2009

Tteokkboki on Chicken Day? Oops...!


So, one of my students turned up today and old me that she'd slept so much yesterday that she'd ended up having no lunch or dinner, and had had no breakfast this morning either! (*PRIORITY FAIL*). I promptly told her to sort her life out and GO AND GET SOME FOOD! So she popped off and came back armed with some tteokkboki (Korean rice cakes) and sundae (sadly, if you come to Korea and order sundae, you won't be getting any ice-cream, but pig's liver sausages instead - hmm, I think I'll take the Western option on that one! xD) and we had a mid-class feast! Mmmm! Now, don't you wish that you had a cool teacher like me? ;P

...okay, so without questioning my coolness as a teacher, if we were going to be really Korean about it, we probably should've had some chicken instead. Why? Well, firstly, chicken doesn't want to make me barf like the thought of eating pig's liver does, but, perhaps more interestingly, during the month of August, Koreans celebrate "Chicken Day" three times: basically just a day where everyone (prepare to be shocked! *drum roll*) eats chicken for the day! (Now, you didn't see that one coming did you?). It'll usually be samgyetang - remember what I had at Eun Hye's restaurant before? It's that delicious rice-stuffed chicken jigae (soup), and the reason it's so popular in August is because it's meant to be a good way of getting protein and nutrients to, as Wiki puts it, "[replace] those lost through excessive sweating and physical exertion during the hot summers in Korea." So it's delicious, won't make you want to hurl AND will keep you pumped for the muggy Korean summer! Cleverrrr!

EDIT: Okay, so Boug (or "Bong", which is apparently his actual name) has gone from hero to ZERO. Just as we were getting ridiculously pumped to set off camping, we get a text saying that apparently his crew were too noisy at the campsite and have had to leave, meaning THE CAMPING TRIP HAS BEEN CANCELLED. EPIC FAIL. I'm effing GUTTED - grrrr! Guess I shouldn't have expected TOO much from someone named Bong! xD Nahh, I can't really blame him, I was just really looking forward to it! ;_; But, every cloud has a silver lining and all that, so, down but not out, me and Merv booked a spontaneous trip to Busan instead! How excitiiiiing! :D We're setting off at 6 tomorrow morning (so much for weekend lie-ins!) and have sorted out a room at a local hostel for Saturday night, so be prepared for the story of my weekend in Busan when I get back! :DDDD

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Layout by tuesdaynight / Image from xo