stranger in seoul


...life is short, and the world is wide... fragments of a summer spent in south korea...
About me

english name: james (제임스)
affectionately-acquired korean name: jeong su (정수)
so, who am i?: 안녕하세요! i'm a 19-year old (or 20 if you're korean!) law student from london currently spending my summer in south korea working at MIKI's british school in seoul, where i teach kids aged between 11 and 16 english and history! when i'm not in the classroom teaching, i like to get out and explore in the sunshine and attempt to discover all of seoul's secrets! ...though with the weather like this, you may well find me cooling off in random coffee houses writing postcards instead! i'm also a MASSIVE music fan (though my tastes are usually too poppy for most people, that doesn't seem to be a problem here! XD) and, on the film front, completely adore studio ghibli, hayao miyazaki and satoshi kon!

Archive

...and if want the whole scoop on my time in seoul, you can flip through my posts according to month by clicking one of the links below!

July 2009 August 2009

...and remember, you can always get back to the main page with all my latest entries by clicking here!...so, what are you waiting for? get reading all my wonderful entries below! oh, and comments are open to everyone, even if you're not signed up to blogger, so feel free to comment away too! <3
>

Tuesday, July 14, 2009

...and so it begins!

Okay, I’ve already been in Seoul ten days, so I guess it probably would’ve been a smart idea to start one of these up sooner, but I figured better late than never! So here it goes!

So, what am I doing here? Well, I’m teaching English at a school called MIKI’s British School, which has campuses at Gangnam and Yangjae. I’ve been asked to write a “diary” to be posted on their website about my time in Seoul, so I’ll nab the intro from that…! It explains everything pretty clearly!:

First off – who am I? Well, my name’s James and I’m a student from London, who, despite having travelled around Europe and dipping into Africa, was – ten days ago, at least – still a stranger to Asia and, perhaps more importantly, to the scary world of travelling alone (*GAP YEAR FAIL*). So how I end up at MIKI’s school? (EDIT: hahaha, that was a typo, but it's suitably Asian, so it stays!) Well, bored one afternoon and wondering what I was going to spend my summer doing, I stumbled upon my university’s volunteering website. At first, I found nothing interesting listed for summer 2009, but I kept on ploughing through, silently hoping I’d stumble upon a diamond in the rough...

And there I saw it (*dramatic music*): MIKI’s listing! Finally, one that actually sounds interesting, amazing, like it could really... but wait? What's that? (*dramatic music cut*)... it was for 2008? 2008?! But, that's like... IN THE PAST. Okay, breathe... just send them an email asking them if they're still taking applicants on...

So, that's what I did. I can remember sitting on my bed writing out the message at midnight, knowing it was desperate, but hoping that someone would answer my prayers! And, the next morning, God himself, in the form of a slightly squat Asian lady named MIKI, flashed up on my Windows Mail: yes, desperate little English boy, we're taking on teachers for the Summer. We'll let you know.

WIN! Even then, just hearing from the school, I was stupidly excited …but then the days and weeks passed, until eventually it had been well over a month and I’d heard nothing. It's like in the films when the days of the month flash up on the screen and the clock runs at 100mph... while nothing changes. My head was saying that I was chasing a chimera, get real and give up, but I knew that I had to persist – so I sent the school another email "politely reminding" them of my original request, and was astonished when the clock stopped ticking and I got an ACTUAL REPLY! But not just a reply - a call for interview! :D

But, you curious people are surely crying out in dismay, what drew me to MIKI's School in the first place? Well, I could say it was fate, destiny, meant to be... but in reality it was just the free flights and my own mild case of Asiaphilia (if symptoms persist, consult your GP... unfortunately, my case was deemed "incurable"). Yes, growing up as a teenager, I’d always been interested in contemporary Asian culture (i.e. FAR EASTERN STUFF), entering secondary school as a rabid Dragonball Z fan (note: not a good way to make friends, only the "really sad" (i.e. "really cool") kids liked Dragonball Z), my interest expanded into other types of anime and manga, then bloomed lusciously into Hayao Miyazaki and Satoshi Kon films, peppered with a bit of J and K-pop for good measure (which still unashamedly makes up a good quarter of my iTunes library…:P)). So, what I'm trying to say is that it was the chance to live the life of someone to whom all those kind of things were everyday that got me hooked. And they ARE everyday here: Dragonball Z's ALL OVER the tele (well, all over CHAMP, the kids' channel, at least), and I even heard Super Junior playing in Dunkin' Donuts the other day! (Yes, even I couldn't resist the delicious Westernised win of donuts on a hot day).

And then, like I said, it was made all the more enticing by the fact that I wasn’t going to have to pay for the privilege (*SHAMELESS CHEAPSKATE ALERT*)... but that MIKI was actually going to be paying ME! Yes, I know it's too good to be true, but I checked the smallprint like a BAJILLION times and didn't find any catches! I'm just hoping I haven't somewhere sold my soul to the Asian sex slave industry, which is actually where my Mum thought I'd been shipped off to when I didn't email her for the first few days of being here (but then again, this is the woman that didn't understand the concept of North Korea and South Korea being TWO DIFFERENT COUNTRIES... *GEOGRAPHY FAIL*)... I think I'm safe for now! XD

... so that’s how I got here! Travelling three hours for a ten minute interview (eager beaver, yes) seems to have paid off, considering I’m now well over 5,000 miles away from home in Nakeseongdae in the heart of Seoul, sitting here writing this blog!


So, that's my story so far - I'm teaching English to three different classes (ranging from Y6 to Y11) 30 hours a week, which leaves evenings and weekends free to explore! Already in my first week I've managed to visit four of five of Seoul's "Grand Palaces" (don't worry, Gyeonghuigung, I'm coming for you next week, bitch!), which are all ACTUALLY PROPER GOOD (more to come on that one in a later post!). But that's not all, I've been shopping at Namdaemun and Myeong-dong (W60,000 that I don't have on a hoody? I think so!), managed to impress my boss with my exquisite use of chopsticks (...all the practice and YouTube videos paid off!), developed an addiction both to kimchi and Delimanjoo (YUMMM), experienced my first Korean Monsoon (...even being from England, that's some SERIOUS RAIN) and got lost wandering around Seoul and the subway network more times than I care to count! XD

So, that's me in a post! It seems to be like an unwritten code of bloggers to express their fears in their first post that nobody's going to read what they write, but let me just say this: I DON'T CARE. This is just a side-project for me to document my two months here, share my discoveries and give myself something to look back on when it's all done! So, I'll leave you with my favourite picture from the past 10 days (taken at Gyeongbokgung; yes, I know, I know, I AM an amazing photographer)...and here's to a happy blog...! :D

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Layout by tuesdaynight / Image from xo